Thursday, February 17, 2011

A Counselor's Opinion On Sex Offenders - What do you think?

Here is a counselor's opinion that was sent to us. Let me know what you think!

I don't know quite how and where to begin but I feel I too must reach out in my plight in hopes to collaberate and attempt to understand healing. I have worked with both victims and offenders for many years. I am very saddened on many levels because of the constant 'reactive' state verses proactive state that is needed. The majority of male offenders I worked with were victims at one time. Few received help for their abuse, especially in the 1950's, 60's and 70's when abuse to male boys just wasn't taked about. Early in my career I found this devistating because had these men who are stuck on 'stupid' with distorted boundries, anger issues and feelings of guilt and shame possbily had a place to go or someone to talk to, they may have not become offenders themselves. As I am sure most of you already know, most offenders are not 'fixated' with small children but make warped decisions based on things they may have experienced in their own life. I do not see the public sex offender registry aiding in protecting our children, nor do I, (sorry to those who do) believe in life time punishment for all offenders. There are some offenders who do want to lead healthy lives and are capable of doing so once they are aware of the wrongs they have committed and learn to understand that what happended to them wasn't right either. I may be coming from left field with this notion, but does anyone agree with this? The registry is not a 'fix it' full proof way to keep people, especially children safe. The laws now prevent former sex offenders from housing, jobs and living what could be a productive life. Please don't think I am some crazy sex offender advocate, I am a civil rights advocate for all people and I just don't see that America's current practices are preventing anything. Either lock 'em up forever, kill them or allow healing for everyone involved, but our current lawmakers giving the public a false sense of security by gaining votes to pretend that they are tough on crime is not working. Another thing is that we cannot glorify a sexual image through poor taste media that teen girls/boys are watching like tasteless videos, etc, pass out birth control like its candy and then arrest the guys the 14 year olds are sleeping with, meanwhile allowing the 14 year old to still obtain birth contol when she needs it. We now have a young male who had consensual sex and is labeled for life, what good is that? Our current system is not working and PREVENTION from all angles is the key! 

No comments:

Post a Comment